Welcome to the 2010 Summer Academy on "Innovation and Uncertainty".
The Research Training Group "The Economics of Innovative Change", jointly offered by the Department of Economics of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena and the Max Planck Institute of Economics Jena, organizes the 4th Summer Academy on "Innovation and Uncertainty". The Summer Academy introduces young researchers from different disciplines to the study of the economic dynamics of firms, markets, sectors and regions with an analytical focus on the endogenous driving forces mainly understood as the activities of invention and innovation.
Applications to 4th Jena Summer Academy on "Innovation and Uncertainty" are now open. The school will run from 25/07/10 to 08/08/10 in Jena, Germany.
What we will get focused on.
The 2010 edition of the Summer Academy will deal with questions concerning the economic dynamics of firms, markets, sectors and regions with an analytical focus on the endogenous driving forces mainly understood as the activities of invention and innovation. The variety of topics that is dealt with covers the foundations of (innovative) behavior, entrepreneurship, the generation of innovations and their diffusion, the change of regional and sectoral structures caused by innovations, the role of the demand side in this context, as well as the political management of change.
Applications are welcome from advanced PhD students in economics, management studies and related fields of the social sciences, on the following topics:
- Decision making under uncertainty, with applicability on innovation-relevant questions
- Patterns and forms of innovative activities
- Economic and innovative dynamics of sectoral structures
- Innovative change, increasing product variety and demand
- Knowledge diffusion and absorption
- Political and institutional dimensions of change
What you can expect from your participation.
The main objective of this yearís Summer Academy is to foster an interdisciplinary discussion of questions related to (innovative) decision-making under uncertainty between scholars from the fields of economics, law, and psychology. Faculty and invited speakers will provide a synthesis and overview of central research topics, methods, and findings. Lectures will be followed by discussion. Participants are PhD students from the Jena Graduate School GSBC and the Jena Graduate College on Innovation. Additionally we will invite graduate and doctoral students (application see below). All participants will also be requested to present their own research, to be discussed by peers and faculty.For further information about the programm you can visit the official schedule
To ensure an excellent learning environment, participation is limited to additional 10-15 exceptional graduate and doctoral students from around the world. Interested scholars should apply with a paper on one of the topics outlined in our research focus. Please notice that the presentation of the paper during the Summer Academy is expected. If you would like to join us, please follow the steps bellow.
- Download our application form.
- Fill out the form carefully and send it via email or fax back to us, before May 31, 2010.
Please contact us (email prefered), if you have additional questions about the process or program.
Meet remarkable people.
Among the invited lecturers are
- Ron Boschma (Universiteit Utrecht)
- Giovanni Dosi (Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies)
- Mark Casson (University of Reading)
- Ido Erev (Tecnicon Israel Institute of Technology)
- Simon Parker (University of Western Ontario)
- Bettina Rockenbach (Universität Erfurt)
- Klaus Schmidt (LMU München)
- Jeroen van den Bergh (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona)
- Joachim Winter (LMU München)
- Dorothea Kübler (TU Berlin)
- Shyam Sunder (Yale School of Management)
The Summer Academy will be directed by Uwe Cantner (Friedrich Schiller University, Jena) and Werner Güth (Max Planck Institute of Economics, Jena)
Everything you need to know.
The Summer Academyís program is continuously updated. For most recent information please visit the official schedule.